Wednesday 23 July 2008

Jogging, gyming and bagging some hills

Big thanks to all the kind and encouraging comments. 20 has to be a record. Even if the last one was JK commenting on the fact the entry had attracted 19 comments.

Last week was a whirlwind of excitement and (for others) shock. Despite receiving numerous ignorant comments along the lines of "you'll have given up running then?" - which were generally reciprocated with "sorry, I said pregnant. Not disabled" - OK, I appreciate people are concerned, but I'm big and ugly enough to know my own body. And, more importantly, know my own limits. I have been keeping generally quite active. I know there hasn't been much blogging, but I haven't resigned myself to slippers, soaps and giant bars of Cadbury...YET! So twos-up to the clueless and here's to a fit and healthy pregnancy.

My running - which is now jogging - has been confined within the barriers of 4-7 miles at 9-10 m/m pace. Last week I did 2 x 5 miles and 7 miler at an average of 9m/m. I've spoken to my gym fitness instructor and he's happy for me to continue with pilates and yoga for the time being. I'll be given alternatives for anything that he deems inappropriate. I've also been using the elliptical trainer for 30 mins a few times a week. And last Friday - despite being adverse to most water-based sports - did a bit of swimming and aqua jogging.

This is the book that I've been avidly reading. In summary: I can run as long as it doesn't hurt and I don't get too breathless. What an education ;-) I think I'll write my own version at the end of this adventure. Joking aside it was comforting to read other runner's stories and generally get a little bit more information.

So, that's the boring updates out of the way.

Sonic and I decided to escape on a caravan trip to do a spot of hillwalking for a few days. We headed up to Ullapool on Saturday. The day was spent travelling, so we took our time. Stopping frequently for tea breaks, shopping stops and view appreciation. And off course I needed to pee every 15 minutes. Hey, it's all part of the course.

Setting up for the night, the weather didn't look too promising. Howling winds and bouts of torrential rain. And on Sunday morning, it was pretty much the same. As we had travelled so far we could hardly bow out, so we braved the elements and headed on the course for the day - the ascent of Beinn Dearg, Cona Mheall and Meall nan Caepraichean. Surprisingly enough the weather wasn't actually that bad. OK, it rained a lot and the view was non-existent at most times, but I have experienced much worse. Back at the caravan with we celebrated a successful trip with tomato soap and spaghetti hoops on toast. Gawd we know how to live.

Monday was morning was a whole different story. Blue skies and sunshine. Surprising considering Sunday was supposed to be the best day. Thus confirming my opinion on never believing a weather forecast. Due to the long walk-in we only managed one Munro - Eididh nan Clach Geala. Sonic wanted to push on for another, but that would have involved finishing about 10pm. I managed to talk him out of it with the promise of fish 'n' chips. The way to Sonic's heart. We went to the Seaforth in Ullapool, which is billed as the UK's best fish pub restaurant. I think we were the only people in the town with English as a first language, but I think it's a lovely wee place. And the food was definitely worth missing another Munro for. The fish was more like a whale in batter. Despite my crazy appetite, I barely made a dent in it. I was more interested in the chips and mushy peas. Sacrilege, I know.

Tuesday was another cracking day. We couldn't believe out luck. Probably just a well, as the route to An Foachagach involved crossing two rivers. We had spoken to a walker on Sunday, who told us he ended chest-deep. I think Sonic has been watching too many Bear Grylis programmes, as he was looking forward to a spot of skinny-dipping. Thankfully the countryside was spared, as we made it over thigh-deep with shoes and socks in hand. The steep grassy slopes were pretty relentless. As lame as it is, I'm a big fan of a nice trail or path. The views from the top were breathtaking. Views for miles. We even managed to have lunch at the summit - without risk of exposure or being blown off. We were less cautious on the descent and wadded through the rivers fully clothed. I think my boots might have drained by next month.

All in all, a fabulous trip with limited drama. Only a few stumbles and bruises. We only tipped the caravan once. However, we did manage to lose one of the sunroof shutters though, as we forgot to close it. It flew off on the A9 and hit an American tourist's car - which they informed us they had borrowed from the minister. Oops. And last night Sonic drove off with the wheel lock on though. RIP the wheel lock. One day we'll grasp this caravan malarkey. In the meantime, it keeps us highly amused.

No comments: